The Alabama Rot Research Fund Charity aim
"To raise funds to promote research into all aspects of the disease known as Alabama Rot (cutaneous and renal glomerular vasculopathy or CRGV) in dogs, on terms that the results of such research are published, with the aim of advancing education in the disease and guiding treatment and prevention strategies to relieve the suffering of dogs, who are in need of care and attention".
We are raising £240,000
We are raising funds to achieve our Research Goals. We periodically review them to ensure that they are kept relevant. They were last reviewed in February 2018.
- To improve CRGV disease surveillance and case recording nationally and, if possible, internationally.
- To determine if the ‘outbreak’ of CRGV is confined to the UK or is more widespread globally.
- To attempt to identify any possible environmental trigger or causal organism. This may ultimately provide an opportunity for vaccine development.
- To develop a diagnostic testing strategy which will yield a firm diagnosis before death.
- To define prognostic indicators to guide treatment. This will require statistical analysis of all current cases to determine differences between survivors and non-survivors.
- To identify possible genetic abnormalities in dogs.
- To forge links between human and veterinary medicine with the aim of investigating if CRGV has any similarities to any human illnesses.
- To employ a full or part time appropriately qualified individual with the expertise to co-ordinate the above research.
Charity running costs
We received a £5,000 donation to cover set up costs when the charity was launched in February 2016. The trustees receive no remuneration, and everyone in the ARRF team is a volunteer. The only costs envisaged are marketing and bank transactions fees. So far, these costs have been within the original £5,000 donation, leaving all funds donated by the public to be available for research.
Research results will be published on our website under the ‘Research’ tab.
When we can declare that Alabama Rot has been ‘stopped’, any surplus funds held by ARRF will be donated to the Animal Care Trust, the RVC’s registered charity which for over 30 years has been dedicated to improving animal health and care.
Apply for funds
If you want to apply for funding from ARRF, please click the button below.